Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hey, I just got you/And this is crazy/But I just love you/So call me Jan Brady

I got a bike.  It rocks.

When we moved to La Crescent, one of the first things we noticed was how active the people in this community are -- people were out walking and biking all day, every day. 

There were signs up around our neighborhood for a resale bike shop, so we went and checked it out one night . . . and I got a sweet new ride.  It's got wide handlebars and a squishy seat, and I feel as giddy as Jan Brady when I'm riding around town on it.  (But my handlebars aren't quite as big as hers . . . nor is my hair.)

I'd thought about getting a bike before, but let's face it: I'm cheap.  I love the look of those beach cruisers, but even at WalMart they're over $100.  Another fact: I don't like to work too hard when I exercise.  I hated to spend over a hundred bucks on a bike if it turned out biking was hard.  I mean, I biked as a kid, but mostly just to show up my brother.  After we grew up, I kind of gave it up as a sport.

So anyway, for just $45, the price was right. 

I've taken little jaunts -- up to the grocery store and such -- and Kevin and I often go out for rides at night, once it cools off.  The other night we rode to the far side of town to a bar that has sand volleyball courts outside.  We thought joining a league might help us meet people.  As the only two patrons in the bar, though, we wondered who we're going to have to pay in this town to be our friends.  (The only people our age we've seen around here are at the t-ball field with their kids.  Not really our crowd.)  But the barman said the volleyball season was half over and it was too late to get in.  They do have a "bags" league on Sunday afternoons, though, and we could come hang out and see if they'd need subs.  (Not likely.  Sounds like we'd be standing up against the wall like the last kids picked for kickball during elementary recess time.)

But anyway, back to my sweet new ride.  Much as I love it, there is one problem: the new helmet I got for $5 with my resale bike is about two sizes too small.  As in, so small I still had an indentation in my forehead when I went to bed an hour after our trip to rejection-bar.  (When I went looking for sympathy, Kevin assured me he wasn't looking at my forehead.  Such a man.)

We've pedaled up to the local farmer's market the past two weeks for some fresh produce.  Here's an easy recipe I found to try out some of our local veggies:

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 C vegetable oil
2 C sugar
1 T vanilla extract
2 C shredded peeled zucchini (about 1 medium)
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C cocoa
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. baking powder

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla.  Stir in zucchini.  Combine dry ingredients; add to zucchini mixture and mix well. Pour into two greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pans.  Bake at 350 for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

I fed this to my non-veggie eating brother and nephews last weekend, not telling them there was zucchini in it.  They never knew the difference.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment