Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Recipes Galore

I've been doing LOTS of cooking and baking lately, and I've promised recipes to several people.  Rather than type 'em all out in individual emails, I thought I'd just share them here in case other people are interested in trying something new.  :)

First up, Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I've been making these since elementary school, and I found a new fan in my new niece Emma!  She tried them for the first time about a month ago and I was afraid she'd throw up from eating so many of them!  She requested them again when we met up at the cabin this weekend.  Last time I used almond flavoring and this time I went with vanilla.  I don't think she noticed the difference, which leads me to believe she would probably accept any chocolate chip cookie I offered!  :)  My mom perfected the recipe before passing it on to me, so I'll credit her.

Judy's Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1 C butter
1/2 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla or almond flavoring
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 t salt
1 t. baking soda
12 oz pkg chocolate chips (I like milk chocolate!)

Cream together butter, sugars, eggs, and flavoring.  In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda; blend into creamed mixture.  Stir in chocolate chips

Drop by teaspoonful onto greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. 

Makes 3-4 dozen cookies.


Next up, a tasty little treat I made this weekend.  I got the recipe at Camp Elim in Colorado, and it's a pretty amazing breakfast treat.  It says to serve it with maple syrup, but we ate it just the way it was -- the toffee pieces and cream cheese were all the "syrup" we needed!

Toffee Apple French Toast

Ingredients:
8 C French bread, cut into 1" cubes
2 medium Granny Smith apples
8oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar, divided
1 3/4 C milk, divided
2 t. vanilla, divided
2 t. cinnamon, divided
1/2 C English toffee bits
5 eggs

Place half of the bread chunks in a greased 9x13 pan.  Top with apples.  In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese, brown sugar, 1/4 C sugar, 1/4 C milk, 1 t. vanilla, and 1 t. cinnamon until smooth.  Spread over apples.  Sprinkle with toffee bits.  Top with remaining bread chunks.

In another bowl, beat the eggs and 1 1/2 C milk, then add 1 t. vanilla, 1 t. cinnamon, and 1/4 C sugar.  Pour over the bread.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  Serve with warm maple syrup.

Serves 8.


If you would have told me five years ago that squash would become one of my favorite summer foods, I would have thought you were crazy.  Lo and behold, I've overcome my fear of trying new foods and now pick up squash every week at the farmer's market.  Here are a couple of my favorite recipes for using squash.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
4 corn tortillas, halved, then cut in narrow strips
2 cans (14.5oz each) chicken broth
1 medium zucchini, cut in 3/4in-thick rounds
1 medium yellow summer squash, cut in 3/4in-thick rounds
1/2 t. minced garlic
1/2 t. ground cumin
1 C corn
16oz can red kidney beans, rinsed
1 1/2  C shredded cooked chicken
1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1in chunks
1/4 C chopped cilantro

Coat a 5 or 6 quart pot with nonstick spray.  Heat over medium.  Add tortilla strips and cook 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly toasted.  Remove to a plate.  Add broth, zucchini, squash, garlic, and cumin to pot.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender.

Stir in corn and beans; continue to simmer 2 minutes.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Heat through.  Top with tortilla strips.

Serves 4.

Colorful Veggie Coins

Ingredients:
4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 T butter, divided
1 C chicken broth
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Place veggies in a shallow 3-qt. baking dish.  In a small saucepan, saute garlic in 2 T butter for 2-3 minutes.  Stir in the broth, salt & pepper.  Pour over vegetables; dot with remaining butter.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Yield: 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment