Saturday, February 2, 2013

52 New Things -- Week 5 -- Naan


Naan: a round flat leavened bread especially of the Indian subcontinent
Tiffany's Naan: a misshapen flat not-really-leavened bread especially of her pancake griddle

We honeymooned in India. The food was awesome.

That's not something you would have heard from me a few years ago -- until my diet of granola bars and fruit while driving around the country, I was a pretty picky eater. Once I got hungry enough, I found out that I'll eat a lot of stuff I never would have touched before.

The first time I went to an Indian restaurant -- probably over ten years ago now -- I hated it. The food was so spicy my nose ran so I mostly just ate a lot of the flat Indian bread.

But now I'm a big girl and I eat more than meat and potatoes. Whoo-hoo! I've found I actually LIKE Indian food, at least if ordered "mild." Naan is still my favorite, though.

So when Kevin found some packets of pre-made curry in the ethnic food section of a local grocery store, I thought I'd whip up some naan to go with it. How hard could it be?

Imagine my surprise when I did an internet search for a good recipe and found a couple of scary words: "yeast" and "knead." (My grandma would be ashamed of me; she made homemade bread or rolls every day. Unfortunately I didn't see what a good thing that might have been to learn. I mean, what was the point of making that stuff when you could just go to the store and buy it?)

Pretty sure this isn't how they do it in India . . .
After enough searching, I found a yeast-free recipe, which saved some time. There was no avoiding the kneading, though.

Long story short . . . my kitchen may have been covered in flour, but in the end, I made edible naan! It wasn't as good as what I've eaten in Indian restaurants or India itself, but it was definitely passable.

The best affirmation, though, came from a sixth-grade boy the next day. I just happened to sub for a health teacher who wanted the kids to make food diaries. I put everything I'd eaten over the last two days up on the board as an example. Seeing veggie curry and naan, the kid asked if I'd gone to New Taste of India. I shook my head no.

Ta-da! And only $2 to make. Beat that, New Taste of India!
"Where'd you get it then?" he asked, looking at me suspiciously. New Taste of India is the only Indian restaurant in town.

"My kitchen," I replied. His look of suspicion turned to a look of admiration.

I'm guessing he would have been less impressed with my dinner the next night. I needed something I could eat in the car while driving to Tuesday night Basketball for All (see Week 3), and with several pieces of naan leftover, I smothered one in Nutella and took off.

Nutella-Smothered Naan. I'm thinking about calling New Taste of India. I'm pretty sure it's a billion-dollar idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment