Monday, March 4, 2013

52 New Things -- Week 9 -- Threading

"Are we doing your eyebrows today, too, or just the haircut?" the stylist asked as she led me back to the chair. This was about five years ago. I'd like to think I kept my cool, but there's a good chance my expression betrayed me as I thought, "What's wrong with my eyebrows?"

Like most women, I could easily list a number of things I'd like to change about my appearance . . . but my eyebrows? I'd never given them much thought beyond making sure I didn't have a unibrow.

As I've gotten older, I feel like I've gracefully accepted the physical changes that go along with aging. I noticed my first gray hair at 32. No big thing. Wrinkles? I prefer to think of them as laugh lines around my eyes, showing what a happy life I've lived. But yeah, the fact that my eyebrows look more and more bushy -- like my Grandpa Malcom's Scottish eyebrows -- every year? I suppose I had to do something about it sometime.

So when I saw a girl doing "threading" at a mall kiosk last week -- and noticed that it was only $10 -- I thought, why not?

Here's why not, friends: it hurts!! When I asked how much it would hurt, the girl said it's less painful than waxing. I think we've established that I've not maintained my eyebrows via any beauty method before, so that really didn't mean anything to me.

Once I got in the chair? Owwwww!!

Yeah, I suppose I'm not really a good judge of pain. Maybe if I'd have experienced childbirth, this would seem like a walk in the park, but as it was, I nearly told her to stop multiple times. I was afraid, though, that I would look like Joey. (That episode of Friends was all I could think of as I sat there gritting my teeth.)

So anyway, I now have stylish, skinny eyebrows . . . and you know how many people have noticed? Absolutely zero.

Here's the before, during (one done and one not), and after shots . . . huge difference right?

At least it was only ten dollars. :)

(Not sure what threading is? Here's a tutorial: http://video.about.com/hairremoval/See-the-Threading-Technique.htm . . . I'd recommend taking some Tylenol before you try it.)

1 comment:

  1. Threading has always intrigued me. I couldn't conceptualize it so the video was really helpful. Your eyebrows in the bottom photo look very shapely and I bet they'll come in handy for any "come hither" looks as you're still a newlywed. :)

    ReplyDelete