Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Church Ladies

In yet another attempt to meet some people in our new area, I thought I'd check out the women's Bible study tonight at the church we're leaning towards.  I almost walked into an AA meeting taking place in the fellowship hall until someone steered me away and into the church library.  I joined five women around a table.  All of them were at least twenty years older than me.

But you know what?  I'm fine with that.  Here's why.

I moved to Colorado when I was 24.  Not long after starting my job at the church, some women found me one Sunday morning and dragged me over to the table where they were registering women for the annual church women's retreat.  Looking at the list of women signed up, I saw some mothers of the teenagers I worked with, some empty nesters, and a few grandmas.  No one in their twenties was signed up.  I figured I'd have no one to hang out with.  I had zero interest in attending.

I said I was too busy to go.  They said I could take a weekend off.

I said I couldn't afford it (which was true, but really just an excuse to get out of going).  They paid my way.

I was stuck.

I packed my backpack and my sleeping bag, telling myself to just endure it.  How bad could it be?  Boring probably, but not awful.

I ended up having an AMAZING weekend.  So much so that I looked forward to the church women's retreat every fall for the ten years I worked at the church.

We laughed so hard.  We played games and they didn't mind that I was insanely competitive.  We sang songs, told stories, ate junk food, and although a few women snored loudly enough to rattle the bunk beds, we had the best time together.

But looking back on those ten weekend retreats over ten years, the thing that strikes me the most is how thankful I am for those women and their influence on my life.  Those are the women who made me realize how much I need other women, and not just women my age, but women who have already been through all the things I have yet to experience.

I learned so much from those women -- to thank God in the good times and to cling to God in the hard times.  I heard stories that made me wonder how they'd found the strength to make it through tragedies.  I saw how much they depended on each other for support, and sometimes just for sanity.  I saw seventy-year-old women giggle like seven year olds.

I learned that I have so much to learn.

And so, as we try to find a new church, my standards are high.  Yes, we want a church with great preaching and great music and lots of opportunities to serve . . . but I'm also looking for women like my old church friends, who are willing to mentor and guide me through all the things to come.

And I'm at an age where I can reach out to twenty-four-years olds and assure them they won't be eating Tuna Helper alone every night for the rest of their lives.

I want a community.

It's a tall order.

Kevin and I talked a bit after church this weekend about expectations and settling.  It's impossible to find the perfect church, I know, and if we did find it, we wouldn't qualify for membership.  But at what point do you stop "shopping" and just pick one?  If the preaching is good but the music isn't, do you call it good, settle in, and integrate yourself in that community?  How long do you try to build those relationships before giving up and starting the church hunt over again?  I'd love to hear from others who've had to look for a new place to worship.

And to those beautiful women of Ascension -- you know who you are! -- thank you.  Sincerely.  Tears were streaming down my face as I wrote about those women's retreats.  You've influenced me more than you know and I can never thank you enough.  I love you.  Keep dragging new young women into your circle and doing the same for them!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this was beautiful and made me yearn for relationships with older, wiser women again too! In the past I had sought out mentors, but it's been awhile. There are older "mentor Moms" at Mops, so maybe that can be a place to rub shoulders with wisdom.

    Ryan and I wrestled with the whole settling/ finding the perfect church too. I hated church "shopping" for so long and felt consumer-like and judgmental, but at the same time your church home is so important. After "settling" several times on churches we thought we'd be okay with because we were tired of shopping, God nudged us to check out another church--just one more time--and it was "the one." I don't think there's an easy answer. It'll take prayer and discussions with Kevin...hopefully your journey for a church won't be as long as ours was! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We "shopped" around a bit too....found a church that someone recommended to us and it is great. There are some things "missing" that we loved from our old church...but I do love the way the Pastor preaches and walks through the Bible...making it make sense. We have been there almost a year and are still struggling to find "community" fully...hopefully that will come. Karlena was always that one person that I could go to with anything and now that she is gone I struggle to find someone to fill that role. Maybe it isn't meant to be "replaced"...but I feel this longing for deep, intimate friendships here and notice the void that it isn't filled. I will be praying about it for you!!

    ReplyDelete