Sunday, May 5, 2013

52 New Things -- Week 15 -- Macbeth

You would think that as an English major, I would have seen a production of Macbeth at some point in my life, right? Nope. I had the opportunity this week. I won't go into detail since I'm really behind in my blogging, but here's the one thing stuck out most to me that night. Since the audience was made up primarily of high school students, the cast came out at the end of the play to sit on the edge of the stage and answer questions. One student asked how many of the actors had been in a Shakespearean play before, and almost everyone raised their hand except THE GUY WHO PLAYED MACBETH.

For real. He'd never even been in a play before, and what did he take on as his first-ever stage performance? The lead role in a Shakespeare production. Lots of soliloquies. Pretty much the entire show being on his shoulders.

So was I inspired to try out for the lead in the La Crosse Community Theater's next Shakespeare production? Heck no. Who's got time for memorizing all that? But I was impressed with the guy and reminded that trying new things is awesome . . . I just prefer my new things on a smaller scale. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment